It was one of those days that I had woke up with a foul mood; the reason for which I can’t quite figure out. Needless to say, I had a really bad day at school. However, that was just a tip in the iceberg: what was to happen when I reached home clearly left me dumbfounded. It was some time in the summer of 2008; a monsoon season in Florida. It’s the season where the rain falls, and falls... day in day out... cats and dogs... endlessly. The pattern of sunny mornings, cloudy mid mornings, rainy (well, thunderstorms really) afternoons and evenings was just like clockwork. The weather was predictable, monotonous, and depressing for me. I love the caress of sunshine so this season was one of my worst times of the year. That day, it was unusual though. The rain was heavier, accompanied by large hails for some time. I experienced all this while being inside my room and peering through the window. I was shaken. The possibility of being struck by lightning was very much real.
In an instant, there was a piercing flash of light that was subsequently followed by an equally petrifying loud bang. My dog, Tony, immediately run for cover hiding behind the reading table. I had to follow its cue. I had to retreat to my bedroom. However, there was something that disturbed my mind. Had I seen some sparks coming from right inside the house? I had not even retreated one step back when another ripping lightning and thunderstorm flashed across the skies. This time round there was no doubt about it.
I saw orange sparks coming from my television set (actually, former television set). In an instant, it had been reduced to nothing more than just a worthless plastic box, extremely destroyed. The lightning had struck at last. As if it was not enough, my computer had been completely destroyed: zapped! My two devices that I had held dear to my heart had been totally ‘fried’ by the violent weather. I had never experienced such a situation before. Perhaps this played a part in my reluctance in getting a surge protector, I regretted having not gotten one. Outside, it was still pounding and thundering relentlessly. I feared about the worst. It was only after some three hours that it relented having caused a trail of damage in its wake.
I was left counting my losses; zapped computer hurt me the most. As I had said before, I had held it dear to my heart. It released me from the boredom that accompanied such a season, where being outdoors was impossible and risky, and potentially fatal. I knew that my brother would be very disappointed. We had been used to play games on end when it was heavily pounding outside. The mental attachment was immense. One bitten, twice shy – I had learnt my lesson. I had to go out and get a surge protector there and then. On venturing out, I temporarily forgot my predicament. The damage caused by the storm was extensive. A light smoke coming from our car informed me that something was amiss. It was true. The CB radio had been destroyed. The power lines had been destroyed making the situation even more hazardous. However, my dear but zapped computer gave me the determination to venture further. Partially melted metal pieces were strewn all over the place. It was better to order the protector, but the telephone lines were not working. As I walked, I could only see the resignation in the other peoples’ faces. Almost everyone had been affected. The day’s storm had crossed the line. I installed the surge protector that very day, and it has worked.