Current situation: the use of polythene has had an adverse effect by clogging sewage pipes, rivers and being an eyesore in nearby lakes.
- Clogging of sewer pipes leading to spillage
- Clogging of polythene papers in rivers
- Death of marine life (fish, birds etc) through suffocation
- Achieve long-term solutions
Desired situation: ensure a clean water environment
- Cultural beliefs
- Budget issues
- Lack of willingness across the board
Planning and Program Design
Current situation: there are no planning and program designs in place to help in running the organization
- Be able to define the problems to be addressed
- Describe the solutions
- Define how to measure success
Desired situation: ensure a systematic and planned program design to reduce recidivism while being able to meet program goals
- Budget constraints
- Job interference
Current situation: there is a lot of resource duplication
- Duplication of resources
- Overstepping of mandates
Desired situation: ensure a carefully crafted and planned organization design to avoid duplication of resources and efforts
- Lack of a qualified coach to design the program
Human Resources Development
Current situation: there is a haphazard learning activities within the organization slowing personal growth
- Increase areas of career development
- Increase training
Desired situation: maximize the productivity of our physical, financial and information resources
- Budget constraints
- Job interference
- History of interference from senior managers (Rouda and Kusy).
Current situation: no clear supervisor or channel of communication
- Separate powers and
- Define exact roles for each senior in the company
Desired situation: ensure harmony and respect between seniors and juniors
Current situation: the international standard of accounting is not followed in making of financial statements
- Loss of petty cash
Desired situation: ensure accountability and a corruption free environment
Current situation: loss of important files through proxy
- Use of paper filing consuming a lot of time
- Leakage of private matters to outsiders
Desired situation: use of the sophisticated information system to communicate within the company ensuring that private matters are kept as that
- Cost factors to install a new IT system
- Lack of qualified staff to maintain the system
Current situation: there is no blue print on how to conduct a good program evaluation
- The program does not meet clientele needs
Desired situation: to ensure that the resulting information is useful and that the programs are relevant and operate efficiently
- Lack of qualified staff to oversee program evaluation
- Budget factors (Powell, Steele and Douglah1996).
Leadership and Organizational Change
Current situation: there is leadership struggle within the organization
- Open quarrels pitying senior managers in the organization as who senior than the other
Desired situation: follow a strict laid down procedure and mutual respect among all employees
- Fear factor amongst the senior employees
- History of infighting in the organization
Senge’s Five Disciplines
- Personal mastery (personal growth and learning)
I believe that people are able to learn through others who learn. Personal mastery therefore can be seen as the discipline of always trying to clarify and deepening our own vision. We should thus focus our energies to develop patiently while seeing things in an objective way. Mastery is thus a particular kind of calling which involves continual learning(The core disciplines).
- Mental models ( deeply held images about how the world works)
The deeply held mental images can sway our way of thinking and how we understand who we are and the world we live in. we need to develop the ability to reflect in and on our actions in order to know how to take the appropriate action. By unearthing our mental pictures, we can then have the ability to carry on a meaningful advocacy. I believe that if am to develop a capability to work with the said mental pictures than I will have to learn new skills while developing new orientations. It is thus important to develop openness but seeking to retain control and coordination (The core disciplines).
- Shared vision ( alignment of personal visions)
An idea is able to inspire people or organizations for several years if the idea has the capacity to hold a shared picture of the future that one seeks to create. I believe that the said idea must have the vision to uplift while encouraging innovation. A genuine vision thus will help one to not only learn but excel as that is what the people want to achieve. One therefore needs discipline to be able to translate the vision into a shared vision under some guiding principles. There should be a reinforcing process to ensure that visions spread with increased enthusiasm and commitment. In this way, vision can be brought into fruition (The core disciplines).
- Team learning (using dialogue to address difficult issues)
I believe in team learning as it should be seen as a process of developing and aligning the capacity of a team to create the results that are needed. This is built on the above personal mastery and shared vision while we act together. By learning together with others, we can grow and rapidly as a team as opposed to learning singly. By ‘thinking together’ we are able develop discipline and learn recognize learning patterns. And in this way we can easily create a language that is more suited to deal with complexes instead of focusing on personal leadership style. I therefore believe that dialogue is a central feature in team learning (The core disciplines).
- Leading the learning organization
Lastly, as leader, I am required to oversee things. Like in the traditional past, leaders are important in setting the direction, energizing others from an individualistic view and in making key decisions. Therefore, leaders are the designers, teachers and stewards responsible to build others to understand their complexities, clarifying vision and improving shared mental models (The core disciplines).