Pedophiles are people with deviant sexual attraction to children and they can be either male or female (Holmes & Holmes, 2008, p.7). There are various types of pedophiles and they are categorized based on their different tendencies (Holmes & Holmes, 2008, p.3). They are:
- The mysoped: Their greatest telling sign is violence as they brutally harm the child as they satisfy their sexual desire (Holmes & Holmes, 2008, p.3). They stalk, kidnap the children and after satisfying themselves they disfigure and kill their victim(Holmes & Holmes, 2008, p.3).
- The regressed child offender: They take advantage of the child when the opportunity occurs. They prefer children of the opposite sex who are strangers (Holmes & Holmes, 2008, p.4).
- The fixated offender: They regard themselves as children and the crimes committed by them can be seen as a way of reconnecting with their past (Holmes & Holmes, 2008, p.5).
- The naïve offender: They take advantage of the innocent nature of children since children are not aware of the impropriety of sexual relations with adults (Holmes & Holmes, 2008, p.5).
- The female pedophile: They can be classified under any of the above mentioned categories of the males but they are separately mentioned because of them being considered rare (Holmes & Holmes, 2008, p.7). Generally, females hide under their motherly nature when molesting the children most of whom are their own (Holmes & Holmes, 2008, p.7).
Another reason that makes it difficult to spot female pedophiles is that the social conditioning of the male child has taught him that it would be embarrassing if he confessed to having been sexually molested by a woman whereas he should have been the stronger party. Further, the male may consider such gesture as a favour and thus should be ‘thankful’ for the experience! (Holmes & Holmes, 2008, p.7).